August 3, 2019
Holistic dentistry isn’t just about your oral health, it’s also about your overall well-being. As an adult, you may have a great understanding of just connected the mouth and body truly are but do your children? Probably not. With school preparing to begin, why not make sure they’re starting the year off right by scheduling an appointment with a holistic dentist in your area? To help you in your search, take a look at some of the suggested questions to ask, benefits, and what to look for, so you can feel confident in your decision.
What to Look for in a Holistic Dentist
It can be hard to find a dental professional who meets your expectations and your child’s needs. You want the best for them, and that’s understandable, so when searching for a holistic dentist, here are some things to look for:
- Types of materials used (biocompatible vs. amalgam/metal, mercury)
- Child-friendly environment to prevent additional anxiety
- Calming demeanor by dentist and staff
- Technologies used (X-ray machine, lasers, etc.)
Questions to Ask
When looking for the right holistic dentist, there are some questions you should be prepared to ask. After all, this is your child we’re talking about, so you want them to receive the best level of care, right? Here are some questions you should consider asking:
- Will I be allowed to stay with my child the entire time?
- Do you believe in using fluoride?
- What types of materials do you use should my child need a filling or crown?
- What types of preventive methods do you use?
Benefits of Seeing a Holistic Dentist
You might be surprised, but if you’re looking for a holistic dentist, it’s probably because you want a more natural approach for your child. If the questions you asked led to answers you were hoping to hear, that’s great! Some of the benefits of choosing this type of biological dentist include:
- Use of mercury-free restorations: This means they will never use any type of metal that contains mercury to restore teeth. From fillings to dental crowns, biocompatible materials will be used instead.
- Mindfulness of overall health: A holistic dentist doesn’t just care for teeth and gums. They take time to ensure the treatments and products used also benefit your child’s overall well-being.
- Digital X-rays: By stepping away from traditional methods, the use of digital x-rays makes it possible to not only see clearer images, but it lessens the amount of radiation exposure.
Don’t wait for school to be back in session before taking your child to see a holistic dentist in your area. Not only do you have more time now, but you’ll be setting them up for a great start to the new year.
About the Author
Dr. Douglas Green earned a bachelor’s degree in biology from St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN, before going on to earn a DDS from the University of Iowa College of Dentistry. Since 1999, he has been practicing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. Not only does his experience and education set him apart from his peers, but he takes quality time to discuss tips and share advice on ways to take care of you and your children’s oral and overall health. As a holistic dentist, he offers transparency when discussing treatment methods, ensuring you feel confident about your dental decisions. To learn more, visit our website or call (763) 269-8650.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.